CEVA's RivieraWaves Bluetooth 5.1 dual mode IP is a complete and flexible solution for integration into SoCs/ASSPs. It contains both "classic" BR/EDR Bluetooth and Bluetooth low energy and is compatible with all Bluetooth versions from Bluetooth 2.1+EDR up to Bluetooth 5.1 dual mode.
It is composed of an easy to integrate Bluetooth hardware baseband controller core (RW-BTDM-BB), driven by a portable and configurable firmware containing all protocol layers up to HCI.
The RW-BTDM-BB, in charge of packet encoding/decoding and frame scheduling, is complemented by a CVSD hardware codec with a-law/u-law/linear PCM samples converter for voice applications. The firmware is composed of the BR/EDR Link Controller (LC), Link Manager (LM), LE Link Layer (LL) and Host Control Interface (HCI).
Compatible with the standard Bluetooth HCI, the RW-BTDM IP can be used with any Bluetooth dual mode host software protocol stack and profiles, either split around the HCI interface so that the lower layers and upper layers run on different processors or systems, or combined together to run on the same embedded processor for a fully hosted solution. The customer is free to choose any 3rd party Bluetooth dual mode compatible host protocol stack and profiles, including BlueDroid™ (as per Android™), BlueZ™ (linux), Tempow, OpenSynergy, A&W and others.
The firmware is provided with reference platform drivers and with a small and efficient message scheduler (or kernel OS) offering task management, inter-task communications, message (queues and events) management and timing management, for standalone use or integration into other real time OS. The software can run on any processor, including ARM Cortex M family, ARC EM, RISC-V, Cortus, Andes, etc.
The RW-BTDM-BB IP deliverable includes a hardware simulation test bench with regression test suit, synthesis scripts, and a user-friendly validation tool running under Windows or Linux allowing easy unit testing and regression at system level.
The RW-BTDM IP can be complemented with the RivieraWaves Bluetooth dual mode RF IP (RW-BTDM-RF) for a full Bluetooth solution.
A processor agnostic turnkey fully integrated platform with embedded open source RISC-V processor is also proposed as a cost effective and short time to market alternative solution.
- Bluetooth 5.1 dual mode compliant
- Backward compatible with all former Bluetooth versions (2.1+EDR, 3.0, 4.x, 5).
- Supports all BR, EDR and BLE packet types
- Support of scatternet modes in both BR/EDR and BLE links (master + slave simultaneous links, several simultaneous slave links)
- Adaptive Frequency Hopping (AFH) in piconet and scatternet operation for improved coexistence with WLAN devices
- Hardware encryption
- WLAN and broadband coexistence interfaces
- Designed in synthesizable RTL for easy technology migration for the hardware portion, and in C for the software portion
- Low gate count and low memory footprint
- Designed for minimal power consumption
- Support of 32000 Hz and 32768 Hz low power clock (can be used for hold, park and sniff)
- Low operating frequency dynamically selectable between 8 and 32 MHz. Other frequencies can be supported on request
- Bluetooth clock and multiple offsets management for scatternet operation in master and slave devices
- Optimized for use with RivieraWaves Bluetooth RF IP. Other RF can be supported on request
- Direct voice bus from CVSD codec, with support of up to 2 voice channels
- AMBA2 AHB/APB bus for easy integration into ARM based platforms
- Developped and validated on 32-bit processor. Can support any 32-bit processor (ARM Cortex M family, ARC EM family, RISC-V, Cortus, Andes, etc.)
- DFT ready, accepted by major ATPG tools
- Supplied with compilation, simulation and synthesis scripts
- Supplied with hardware test bench and test suite permitting regression of the core after user edits
- Supplied with a user-friendly validation tool running under Windows or Linux allowing easy unit testing and regression at system level
- Comprehensive documentation and training
- hardware: Verilog RTL, testbench, compilation, simulation and synthesis scripts
- software: C
- test tool running on Windows or Linux
- smartphones, tablets
- True Wireless Stereo ear buds, headsets, speakers
- Set Top Boxes
- remote control
- Direction Finding, accurate indoor localisation and asset tracking
Block Diagram of the RivieraWaves Bluetooth 5.1 dual mode Baseband Controller