The TSN-EP implements a configurable controller meant to ease the implementation of endpoints for networks complying to the Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) standards. It integrates hardware stacks for timing synchronization (IEEE 802.1AS) and traffic shaping (IEEE 802.1Qav and 802.1Qbv), and a low-latency Ethernet MAC.
The controller core is designed to enable high-precision timing synchronization and flexible yet accurate traffic scheduling. Requiring minimal software assistance for its initialization, it features extremely low and deterministic ingress and egress latencies, and simplifies the development of time-aware applications. While operating autonomously, the TSN-EP provides the system with timing information (time-stamps, alarms, etc.) that is typically required for the operation of a TSN network endpoint device. Furthermore, it allows the system to define and tune in real time the traffic shaping parameters according to an application’s requirements.
The TSN-EP uses standard AMBA® or Avalon® interfaces to ease integration. Its configuration and status registers are accessible via a 32-bit-wide AXI4-Lite or Avalon-MM bus, and packet data are input and output via AXI-Streaming or Avalon ST interfaces with 8-bit data buses.
The TSN-VIP TSN Ethernet Verification IP package is available for this core.
The TSN-EP is designed with industry best practices, and is available in synthesizable RTL (Verilog 2001) source code or as a targeted FPGA netlist. Deliverables provide everything required for a successful implementation, including sample scripts, an extensive testbench, and comprehensive documentation.
- Time Synchronization
- Implements IEEE 802.1AS
- Grandmaster or Slave functionality
- Highly accurate synchronization. Accuracy is typically in the order of few tens ns.
- Provides the system with timestamps, periodic event triggers and alarm
- Traffic Shaping
- Implements IEEE 802.1Qav and IEEE 802.1Qbv
- Supports up to 8 traffic classes, as per VLAN (IEEE 802.1Q)
- Enables bandwidth reservation and allocation per traffic class, and deterministic, low-latency, low-jitter communication for all traffic classes
- Low-Latency Ethernet MAC
- Enables high-precision synchronization in TSN networks
- Egress latency:
- 10 Tx clock cycles
- Ingress latency:
- 6 Rx clock cycles
- 10/100/1000 Mbit/s Ethernet
- PHY interfaces: MII, GMII and RGMIII
- Easy System Integration
- AMBA/AXI4 or Avalon Interfaces
- AX4-Lite host interfaces, and AXI4-Stream for packet data
- Avalon-MM host interface and Avalon-St for packet-data
- Complete reference designs available for Altera and Xilinx, including sample application software
- Requires minimal host assistance for its initialization
- Verification IP
- The TSN-VIP Ethernet Verification IP package is available for this core
- The core includes everything required for successful implementation:
- Verilog RTL source code or targeted PFGA netlist
- Sample Simulation and Synthesis scripts
- Comprehensive Documentation
- Lightweight PTP stack and device driver for FreeRTOS, easily portable to any other RTOS.
- Linux device driver
- The TSN-EP is suitable for the implementation of sources of traffic and bridges for TSN Ethernet networks requiring robust, low-latency, and deterministic communication. Such networks are used in automotive, industrial control, and aerospace applications.
Block Diagram of the TSN Ethernet Endpoint Controller