The SFI-5 Intellectual Property (IP) core enables user instantiation of an OIF-compliant SERDES Framer Interface Level 5 (SFI-5) core in LatticeSC/M Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs). The SFI-5 System Reference Model is shown in the figure below. The SFI-5 defines a communications interface for a 40 Gbps optical link which typically consists of a Framer, FEC (Forward Error Correction) Processor, and SERDES. The purpose of the SFI-5 interface is to transmit data across multiple channels in parallel, where channels may incur different skews between the transmitter and receivers. The SFI-5 receiver delays the data received on all of the channels to match that channel which incurred the longest delay. This removes any skew variation between the channels.
The SFI-5 interface uses 16 bi-directional SERDES links to transmit and receive data. Another SERDES link (the 17th channel) is used as the Deskew channel.
The SFI-5 is a user-configurable IP core, which allows the configuration of the IP and generation of a netlist and simulation file for use in designs. Please note that bitstream generation may be prevented or the bitstream may have time logic present unless a license for the IP is procured.
SFI-5 IP User's Guide The LatticeSC SFI-5 IP Core User's Guide is now available.
SFI-5 Evaluation Board The LatticeSC SFI-5 Evaluation Board is a functional platform for development and rapid prototyping of applications that incorporate high-performance SFI-5 interfaces available for SFI-5 evaluation.
SFI-5 Reference Design The reference design included with the SFI-5 IP package (sfi5_eval directory) is designed for use on the LatticeSC SFI-5 Evaluation Board.
- The SFI-5 core is fully compliant with the Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF) Implementation Agreement OIF-SFI5-01.02
- Data path uses 17 SERDES transceivers operating in 8-bit only mode
- Sixteen 16-bit wide internal receive and transmit data paths
- Supported through ispLEVER IPexpress for easy user configuration and parameterization
- Included reference design suitable for use on the LatticeSC SFI-5 Evaluation Board with SERDES channels running at 2.5 Gbps
- Reference design uses the Reveal™ Logic Analyzer to observe circuit operation
- User-settable parameters to select the allowed number of framing errors for the deskew channel framer to go into or out of locked state
Block Diagram of the SFI-5