CEVA's RivieraWaves Bluetooth 5.1 low energy IP is a comprehensive and flexible solution for integration into SoCs/ASSPs.
the RW-BLE-SW host protocol stack and profiles. It can be combined with the firmware of the RW-BLE baseband controller to create a fully embedded or fully hosted solution, or run on a separate micro-controller.
The RW-BLE hardware baseband controller core (RW-BLE-BB), in charge of packet encoding/decoding and frame scheduling, is complemented by a hardware AES128 encryption engine for real time encryption/decryption of the packets.
The firmware is composed of the Link Layer(LL) and Host Control Interface (HCI). It is provided with reference platform drivers and with a small task scheduler offering task management, inter-task communications, message (queues and events) management and timing management, for use as standalone or integrated into other real time OS.
For a more comprehensive solution, the RW-BLE baseband controller IP is complemented with:
the RW-BT-RF IP. This is a complete radio transceiver including modem compliant with Bluetooth low energy.
The combined RW-BLE firmware and RW-BLE-SW host protocol stack and profiles form a highly flexible solution supporting 3 different configurations:
Fully hosted configuration: all software is running on the same embedded processor. There is no HCI. Alternatively, the complete software can run on a host/application processor, driving a CPU-less BLE IC containing the RW-BLE-BB baseband controller core.
Split configuration: lower layers below HCI are running on the embedded processor while the upper layers above HCI are running on the host/application processor.
Fully embedded configuration: all software is running on the embedded processor, while the application is running on the host/application processor.
A processor agnostic turnkey fully integrated platform with embedded open source RISC-V processor is also proposed as a cost effective and short time to market alternative solution.
The RW-BLE-SW host protocol stack and profiles can also be used with any Bluetooth low energy HCI controller IC.
- Compliant with the Bluetooth low energy versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/5/5.1 specifications
- Supports all mandatory and optional features of Bluetooth low energy, including all the BLE4.2, BLE5 and BLE5.1 features such as 2Mbps, Long Range, Advertising Extensions, Channel Selection #2, Direction Finding with AoA/AoD
- Optimized architecture for scatternet operations (master + slaves simultaneous links, including several simultaneous slave links)
- Supports all BLE packet types
- Supports master and slave modes
- Supports all states: standby, advertising, scanning, initiating, connection, ...
- White list
- Frequency Hopping with channel assessment for higher link robustness and improved coexistence with interferers such as Wi-Fi devices
- Embedded coexistence interface for collocation with other wireless protocols such as Wi-Fi, Zigbee, ...
- AES128 encryption
- Complete software protocol stack: Link Layer (LL), Host Control Interface (HCI), L2CAP, Attribute Protocol (ATT), Security Management Protocol (SMP), Generic Attribute Profile (GATT), Generic Access Profile (GAP), and a comprehensive list of services and profiles (Proximity, Find Me, Health Thermometer, HOGP, A4WP, ...).
- Standard Bluetooth Mesh profile is also available for lighting and other mesh smart home / building applications.
- Hardware core designed in synthesizable Verilog for easy technology migration
- Hardware encryption
- Flexible and portable software written in C. The software can run on any processor, including ARM Cortex M family, ARC EM, RISC-V, Cortus, Andes, etc.
- Low operating frequency selectable between 8 and 32 MHz
- Support of 32000 Hz and 32768 Hz low power clock
- AMBA2 AHB bus or SPI interface for easy integration into any ASIC or SiP
- Designed for minimal power consumption
- Low gate count
- Low MIPS and low memory footprint
- Support of RF qualification mode and regulatory body
- DFT ready, accepted by major ATPG tools
- hardware: verilog RTL, testbench, compilation, simulation and synthesis scripts
- software: C
- test tool running on Windows or Linux
- IoT, smart home, smart building
- Tag, asset tracking
- Sport & Fitness: wristband, smartwatch, heartrate monitor, running speed, cycling speed, weight scale
- Medical: thermometer, glucose monitor, blood pressure monitor, ...
- Remote control: mouse, keyboard, game pad
- Direction Finding, accurate indoor localisation and asset tracking
- Hearing Aid
- Wireless charging (A4WP)
- Mesh: lighting, sensors, ...
Block Diagram of the RivieraWaves Bluetooth 5.1 low energy Baseband Controller, software and profiles