Mindtree IEEE 802.15.4 MAC and PHY semiconductor Intellectual Property (IP) is based on IEEE 802.15.4 specification. This standard defines the Physical layer (PHY) and Medium Access Control (MAC) layer specifications for low power and low data rate wireless connectivity.
Our IP is a software and hardware co-design. The time critical functions are implemented in hardware and logical functions are implemented in firmware. The interface between the hardware and firmware is through AHB, APB, EBI, and SPI bus.
Software Stacks such as Zigbee, RF4CE and Thread can be ported on top of our 802.15.4 hardware. Our IP consists of all essential components needed for a complete 802.15.4 system. For RF, Mindtree has partnered with several leading RF IP suppliers across the globe.
Mindtree’s 802.15.4 IP has been licensed to top semiconductor companies. We expect the first IC based on our 802.15.4 IP to be in production soon.
- Mindtree IEEE 802.15.4 MAC
- Our MAC implementation is fully compliant with IEEE 802.15.4-2011 MAC specifications. We support all mandatory and optional features. Some of the features of our MAC implementation are:
- Association and disassociation
- Beacon management
- Channel access
- Frame validation and acknowledgement
- All defined security mechanisms.
- MAC operates in two different modes based on the specification:
- Beacon enabled
- Non-beacon enabled.
- Mindtree, currently, supports the non-beacon enabled mode. Support for beacon-enabled mode and its features such as GTS will be available by Q4, 2017.
- Key advantages of Mindtree IEEE 802.15.4 MAC
- High degree of configurability based on target application
- Designed for portability across 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit processors
- Firmware architected for low foot-print
- Optimized memory architecture
- Built-in power management module for ultra-low power consumption
- Flexible interfaces for easy integration with third party modem/RF
- Run time configurability
- Mindtree 802.15.4 - PHY
- Our PHY implementation is fully compliant with IEEE 802.15.4-2011 PHY specification.
- Mindtree has implemented 802.15.4 digital PHY for 2.4 GHz ISM band which easily integrates with customer‘s Radio front end.
- It supports modulation/demodulation, Automatic Gain Control (AGC), Energy detection(ED), Link quality identification (LQI) and channel selection/assessment (CCA) algorithms.
- Mindtree 802.15.4 – PHY supports:
- Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz (ISM/Worldwide)
- Data rate: 250 kbps ( over the air)
- Coding: Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum
- Modulation: Offset-QPSK
- Key advantages of Mindtree IEEE 802.15.4 PHY
- High performance modem
- Configurable architecture based on RF front end
- Optimized gate count
- Easily customizable for different RF Frontend
- IP Maturity
- Meets all specification requirements
- Licensed to top semiconductor companies
- Successfully Taped out
- First Chip, based on our 802.15.4 IP to be in production shortly
- Supported Software Stacks
- MAC Layer Deliverables
- Delivery of MAC hardware RTL
- C-test cases for MAC hardware
- MAC firmware
- Hardware build and other shell scripts (Unix/Linux)
- Firmware make file for Windows
- MAC Architecture document
- MAC software programmer manual
- MAC IP user guide
- FPGA synthesis & PAR scripts for Mindtree FPGA platform.
- PHY (Modem) Deliverables
- RTL source code in Verilog for digital PHY (modem) for both transmitter and receiver.
- ASIC Synthesis and STA scripts for EDA tool flow
- RTL Simulation Environment
- Test Suite for integrated MAC and PHY
- Test scripts
- Software Deliverables
- MAC firmware C source code targeted at Cortex M0 + RVDS compiler
- Source code of sample application to illustrate the use of APIs
- API Documentation
Block Diagram of the IEEE 802.15.4 - MAC and PHY