IQonIC Works USB-C/PD power adapter IP includes components required to build an integrated programmable power supply (PPS) charger solution.
The USB Type-C source controller detects connections and controls provision of VBUS and VCONN power.
The USB BC and QuickCharge controller negotiates power supply for legacy devices using BC1.2 and QC2/3/4 protocols.
The USB PD controller autonomously negotiates power contracts with a device using PD 2.0 or 3.0 protocols, including PPS messaging. It includes PHY, protocol, and source policy layers, and integrates with a host processor that provides device policy management.
The usb_pa_platform reference design integrates these IP blocks with other IQonIC Works IP into a complete power adapter ASIC solution. The platform includes power-supply control using an IDAC, VBUS load switch control, ADC, fault monitoring, temperature sensing, a RISC-V processor subsystem with ROM/OTP/SRAM memory, and I2C and GPIO interfaces.
IQonIC Works provides embedded firmware for the usb_pa_platform. The firmware can be customized for a target application using IQonIC Works IDE, which integrates with the embedded debugger in the hardware platform.
- RISC-V RV32EC processor subsystem with debug module, JTAG debug transport, and instruction and data ROM and SRAMs
- Bandgap Vref/Ibias blocks that provide reference voltage and bias currents to analog blocks
- LDOs to derive power from the the external converter to power internal digital logic, analog blocks, and I/Os
- Power-on (PON) reset for digital blocks during power-supply ramp up and down
- 48MHz oscillator that provides the main clock for digital blocks
- 10kHz low power oscillator that provides a clock for the watchdog timer
- System control block that provides clock and reset control for digital logic, including clock gating
- System timer and watchdog timer
- I2C slave interface for test-access
- I2C slave controller for external host access
- I2C master interface for general purpose use
- I2C transceivers
- GPIO controller for outputs
- USB PD control and analog transceiver. The PD control implements PHY, protocol, and source policy engine layers.
- USB Type-C control and analog front end. The Type-C control implements the source state diagram.
- USB BC1.2 and QuickCharge 2/3/4 control and analog front end
- Power supply (PS) control and analog front end to control the setpoint for the external regulator, including slew-rate controlled transitions between voltages
- Current sense (ISNS) amplifier and control
- VBUS control and analog front end, including load-switch gate driver, discharge resistor, and voltage divider for VBUS measurement
- Monitoring control and analog front end for over-voltage, over-current, and reverse-current protection. The block includes comparators and interrupt request logic for fast response to faults.
- NTC thermistor and configuration resistor control and analog front end, driving source current into external resistors to generate a voltage to be measured by the ADC
- Multichannel SAR ADC control and analog front end, used to measure power supply voltage, VBUS voltage, current sense, thermistor temperature, and config resistor voltages
- One-time programmable (OTP) memory with controller for programming and read access
- Test access port with I2C slave interface
- Test control and trim registers
- Flexible Licensing Options
- Project based, Term, or Perpetual Licenses (Single Project or Multi-Project, Single Technology or Multi-Project/Multi-Technology)
- Manufacturing License options (GDS IP)
- Detailed data sheet and integration guide
- Synthesizable Verilog RTL source code
- ASIC digital synthesis constraints
- Complete analog IP in GDSII, including analog PHY
- FW source code
- FPGA development board with analog mezzanine card
- UVM based verification environment and test cases
- Design guide, programming user manual, and verification guide
- USB-C/PD Source-only port
- Battery charger
Block Diagram of the Digital and mixed-signal IP and ASIC RISC-V reference design for USB Type-C/PD power adapter/charger