The IP consists of a 10 bit 40 MS/s pipeline ADC. A time-interleaved architecture with 1.5 bit per stage is used. The operational amplifiers are shared between the interleaved stages for reduced power consumption. The interleaving is transparent for the application.
The latency of the ADC is 10 clock cycles. On the one hand, the ADC operation can be triggered using the adc_start input signal. On the other hand, continuous conversion of the input signal can be selected.
The integrated buffer provides a high impedance input in order to simplify the interface to the driving circuit. For low-power consumption a sample-and-hold-less architecture is used.
The reference drivers are included, which enables the operation using a single reference voltage. 7 bit trimming of the reference is included.
The ADC is silicon proven using the AMS H18 process. Measurement results are available from evaluation and volume production. One application of the IP is an industrial sensor ASIC for safety critical applications.
Fraunhofer IIS provides a detailed documentation and support for the IP integration. Modifications, extensions and technology ports of the IP are available on request.
- Resolution: 10 bit
- Conversion rate: up to 40 MS/s
- Power consumption: 30 mW @ 1.8 V
- Integral non-linearity: +/- 2.5 LSB
- Diff. non-linearity: +/- 1.0 LSB
- Supply voltage: 1.72 V – 1.88 V
- Operation clock: 1.0 – 40 MHz
- Input voltage range: 0.53 V – 1.05 V
- Temperature range: -40 °C – 125 °C
- Low design risk due to silicon proven design
- Easy to use input due to integrated input buffer
- Robust operation across full temperature range from -40 °C up to 125 °C
- Simple integration due to integrated reference drivers and reference trimming DAC
- GDSII data
- Simulation model
- Silicon validation report
- Integration support
Block Diagram of the 10 Bit 40 MS/s Pipeline ADC