This customizable PLL has been designed for use with high performance A/D converters such as S3’s 10-bit 80MSPS pipeline ADC, where low jitter clock generation is critical to the success of applications such as DVB and Cable Modem.
This PLL is an integer N PLL, giving the best jitter performance, with a flexible large range of programmable input, frequency and output dividers.
The PLL is designed to provide excellent jitter performance while also maintaining low current consumption by using a third order loop filter which gives the best spurious performance, supply rejection, phase noise and jitter performance.
The PLL has been implemented in a standard 90nm basic logic process with no analog options. It is readily portable to any similar manufacturing process, and any activity of this nature is fully supported.
- 90nm 6 metal CMOS (No analog options)
- 1.2V power supply
- Four Programmable Output Dividers
- Phase detector frequency: 5MHz to 20MHz
- Max input frequency (clkin): 200MHz
- Feedback divider range (N): 1 to 512
- Output divider range (M): 1 to 63
- Reference Divider (R): 1 to 63
- Period Jitter: 5ps
- Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter: 8.5ps rms
- Long Term Jitter over 20us:
- 14ps rms for Fin = 20MHz, Fout = 640MHz
- Very Low Phase Noise,
- Integrated @ 20MHz = -66.9dBc
- 50dBc largest spur of reference clock
- Die area of 0.2mm2 (including bandgap reference)
- Power Dissipation < 4mW
- No external components
- Designed for the most demanding applications that require very low jitter clocks such as clocking high performance data converters in applications such as DVB and Cable Modem.
- The PLL supports a wide range of reference lock frequencies programmed via digital bits including selection of optimum loop filter bandwidth.
- The area and current consumption are small.
- The PLL has been developed on standard 90nm process with no analog options. The PLL can be ported to any similar process.
- An optional lock detect signal is available.
- A programmable feedback divider provides a VCO frequency resolution equal to the PFD frequency.
- A programmable output divider can be selected as well as the VCO output.
- Characterization Report
- Flat Netlist (cdl)
- Layout View (gds2)
- Abstract View (lef)
- Timing View (tlf)
- Behavioral Model (VHDL/Verilog)
- Silicon Samples
- DemonstrationEvaluation Board
- Integration Support
Block Diagram of the 1.2GHz Programmable PLL